- Form teams around work
- Have teams resolve dependencies amongst each other
- Break down work into consumable pieces
- Decide on the best architecture and design and adapt it as the project progresses and new information is discovered
- Have the right conversations at the right time with the right people
- VALVE Software
- US Navy - Turn the Ship Around!
- (More to follow... put your company name here)
Can I be included the next time Valve is deciding X?
Yes. There’s no secret decision-making cabal. No matter what project, you’re already invited. All you have to do is either (1) Start working on it, or (2) Start talking to all the people who you think might be working on it already and find out how to best be valuable. You will be welcomed — there is no approval process red tape involved. Quite the opposite — it’s your job to insert yourself wherever you think you should be.
Cabals are really just multidisciplinary project teams. We’ve self-organized into these largely temporary groups since the early days of Valve. They exist to get a product or large feature shipped. Like any other group or effort at the company, they form organically. People decide to join the group based on their own belief that the group’s work is important enough for them to work on.